A Little About Me

A Little About Me
I am an artist.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Self Protrait

“I watched you fade away, and I turned my head and closed my eyes, and prayed you'd stay. Then I told myself that it be fine..”, Heard Goodbye by Dan + Shay; “Place your hand on my beating heart”, Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran; “I'm waking up! I feel it in my blood!”, Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. These are some of my favorite lyrics from my favorite songs and artists. To me music is not just about the overall sound and rhythm, although that is an essential part, but it is also about the story that music tells throughout its lyrics, rhythm, and emotions as a whole. Every song on my iPhone has some sort of deeper meaning to me or a specific mood that goes along with it. For example when I am sad I listen to Heard Goodbye. When I feel calm and in a relaxed state of mind I listen to Ed Sheeran songs, and when I am going for a run or getting my self energized for the day I listen to Imagine Dragons. For this reason I wanted to work my deep “musical connection” with musicians and bands into my self portrait because it is huge part of what makes me “me”. I also know I need to add my dog, patches, in there somehow because he is my pet and I love chilling with my fuzzy friend. I also knew I needed some sort of colorful thing to represent my love for art, and lastly I needed myself with some foreshortening in my body to be somewhere in this picture.

With all these, clearly well thought out, mini thoughts I concocted a complex composition, to be done on brown paper in color pencil, of me sitting against wall covered with a few of the many names of musical artists that I like. I then drew a painting palette and brush to add a little more character to my composition, as well as to portray another characteristic of me. I also placed my dog to my right side in the photo, to create a complexed foreground between my legs and my dog. Lastly to meet the criteria I zoomed in on my hand and knees to create foreshortening in my body, thus making my body and head look further back then my hands and knees. To do this I made my legs and hands about a half a head giver take bigger than they needed to be. I did not want to go to dramatic with foreshortening because I wanted the attention to be not just on the position of me but on the background and foreground as well. Over all I like my rendering with the color pencils and some of the interesting colors that I found, however, as always there are a few things that bug me about my piece. One of the major things that bug me is the top of my dogs head, it just looks abnormal to me, and the stone wall looks a little cartoonish. Otherwise I like it more than I thought I would when I started off.

No comments:

Post a Comment